Monday, September 29, 2008

It's a beutiful day in the neighborhood

It really is, the weather is gorgeous. Warm, but not hot, clear, not too humid. Once the mosquitioes settle down post Ike, it will be delightful come evening. This is the time of year that makes being in Houston through the summer worth while. I know some folks talk about our humidity, but I have lived in the desert, and I have lived in the snow country. Say what you like about the humidity, I have never had to shovel it. Or put on humidty screen, unless you mean right guard. And here in the lovely west Houston area, we are treated to mostly quiet evenings, and pleasant places to gather and visit. In fact I think it is time I put in a firepit so that when the weather gets just a touch cooler we can sit out side and just visit and enjoy the nice weather. As I sit in my windowless office in the center of the building, hearing the roar of the File server fans as they cool the computers down, it almost makes me miss when I worked out of doors. Then I remember being in jeans and boots, pulling barbed wire or chasing escaped critters in the summers heat. No thanks. Oh, and anyone who thinks Houston does not get cold, get a map of the us, or better yet a globe one of the ones with bumps to show the mountains (topographical, I know). Now look from Canada to Houston, you see the two sets of mountain ranges that seperate the east and west from the middle of the country? those run north south, mostly, and work like a funnel to channel the cold winter air coming down from, or worse, across Canada. Hot and humid is muggy, sleepy weather. Cold Humid air is painful like knives when the wind blows. On the more bright side, our winters are maybe a couple of weeks of cold weather.

Yup, I do like it here, mostly. And like Ben Franklin said, Everyone Talks about the weather, but no one does anything about it.

Me I am getting my hammock, an umbrella and a blanket out, with a mosquito net a cold beverage and a good book. Wake me if another hurricane is coming.

1 comment:

Kris said...

hey, you will never get me to appreciate humidity...

kw